Painting update 20/10/2018

05e23cb2a7022a2783c1b05d330d2d96--space-marine-warhammer-

Progress on the 30K Alpha Legion force continues unabated – this month’s pledge for the Vale of Legions painting challenge is a squad of Terminators, so I have decided to try and make up for last months tardiness and wasted no time in cracking on with the squad!

The terminator squad in my list comes in the bog standard configuration of power axes and combi-bolters.  This would be fine if the Terminators in the Betrayal at Calth boxed set came with Power Axes, but they dont.  With a lack of points in the list to go for all Powerfist/lightning Claw configurations (what the BaC boxed set does comes with), and one eye on creating some custom Lernaean Terminators for future games, I decided to try a bit of conversion work using some spare Grey Knight bits I had knocking around in the bitz box.

IMG_1467IMG_1469IMG_1471IMG_1473IMG_1475

As you can see, I have kept the models with power fists, but drilled a small hole to allow the power axe / force halberd to be slid through.  Now you may well ask, what does a terminator need a power fist to hold a force axe for?  Well, to ram it home with all the more power of course!

I’m actually pretty chuffed with these – they were dead simple, and saved me spending money on the forgeworld conversion kits.  I am also not a huge fan of the Alpha Legion ‘dragon scale’ aesthetic that forgeworld do, and was looking to do something with a bit more character but not straying too far from the normal 30K marine look – which I think I have managed here.  I’ve hidden the Grey Knight bits as best I can under some purity seals, which also serve to give the model a bit more dynamism, which is nice 🙂

I have also cracked on with the bases.  After the disaster of the Dreadnaught base, I went back to measured cuts on the card to avoid tiles sizes that looked cartoonish.

IMG_0584

However, I didn’t want to go through the pain of painting each tile individually (as I did on the Consul), and so changed up the process of painting a little.  This time I painted all the tile area grey, before tracing over the scored lines with a very fine fine-liner pen to pick out the hatched pattern, before colouring the bronze tiles and washing over the top with Agrax Earthshade Gloss.

IMG_0603

While not as good as the Consul’s base, I am still pretty happy with these – they will look even better once the blood and scratches are added, as well as the heather, but crucially they took a lot less time to complete.

IMG_0611IMG_0610IMG_0609IMG_0608IMG_0606

So, good progress made to date, now to crack on with the painting!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s